ross.cook@archaeodomus.co.uk          I          01570 218048          I          07910 213557

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page

© 2017 ArchaeoDomus & Ross Cook. 

Current & Recent Projects

.
Sulgrave Barrow, Northants.

As a part of a badger exclusion project to protect the monument, an archaeological survey and interpretation was commissioned under a Natural England project. The aim of the archaeological survey was two fold, the first to record the monument and extent of the badger damage (in red); and the second to identify any remaining original earthworks. This enabled the monument to be consolidated using the badger castings, which spread over much of the site. 

The monument is attributed to the Bronze Age. However, geophysical investigation and evaluation trenching found no evidence to substantiate this. Another possibility is the monument may have been an early-medieval moot-mound.

Tretower Court Barn Wall Survey

A second project at Tretower Court and Castle for Cadw; to record in stone-by-stone detail a stretch of ruinous wall once part of a domestic range for the court. The project has come amongst a recent project to update the scheduling through further understanding of the remaining elements of the court, both above and below ground. 

The domestic range is believed to have been built around 1480 to serve as additional accommodation and service range to the busy hub that was Tretower Court. 

Architectural Survey, Plas Machen Barns

 

A recent survey for architects Andrew Faulkner Associates (www.andrewfaulkner.net), to enable the production of architectural designs that will see the barns converted into workshops and office space for local businesses. 

Plas Machen was the former seat of the Morgan's, until their move to and development of Tredegar House.

Produced from a total station survey to provide dimensional control and accuracy.

Survey of Cwrt Henri, Dryslwyn

 

The first phase in a project of several parts. This first element sought to understand the full height extent of the late medieval core of the historic house constructed by Henry ap Gwilym between 1464-1500. 

The survey was undertaken using a total station, an electrical/optical precision instrument. This method allowed for the fast and dimensionally accurate capture of the structure in 3D, therefore allowing for a greater understanding of the building.

Historic Buildings Report & Watching Brief, Former Coach House, Newport

 

The Former Coach House was constructed around 1859 by the Lloyds of Bronwydd shortly after their acquisition of Newport Castle. To the castle, the Lloyds restored and converted the Gatehouse into a residence and undertook a project of landscaping to the surrounding grounds. The Former Coach House was built to provide stable for horses, cover for a cart, and accommodation for a few members of the household. Although called the Coach House, the size and scale is not suited to such use, and was instead built to provide cover for a Governess Cart or Cab, for use locally whilst the Lloyds were in residence.

Read the report (opens as PDF)

Photographic Record, Llynddwr, Llandysul

 

A small project to produce a photographic record as part of planning consent, prior to the house and cow shed restoration and conversion back into a home. 

The relatively untouched nature of the house and cow shed, makes it an uncommon survivor from the early 19th century in West Wales.

Read the report (opens as PDF)

Evaluation Trench Evaluation, Victoria Terrace, Narberth

 

A field evaluation next to Narberth Castle to ascertain the potential for archaeological remains, prior to development of the land for apartments. 

An exciting site that yielded only late 20th century finds due to the land having been used as a dumping ground for a former bottling plant and later other local building developments. Over 15 successive dumping sequences were identified!

Read the report (opens as PDF)

Sallyport Gates, Tower of London

A small project for Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory and the Tower of London to produce a rapid measured survey of the Byward Tower Sally Port Gates. 

Watching Brief, Llansadurnen

 

A recently concluded project in Llansadurnen for a Watching Brief on a plot opposite St Sadwrnen Church. An archaeological condition was applied to the Planning Permission, which has now been discharged.

Whilst no buried archaeology was uncovered, a small finds assemblage was recovered from the site, which included Medieval Coarseware pot, a late 18th century clay pipe bowl and plenty of 19th-20th century china. 

Read the report (opens as PDF)

Thatched Barn, Christ Church, Oxford

 

As part of efforts to renovate and convert Christ Church's Thatched Barn, the college commissioned a archaeological survey of the building to provide an 'as is' record along with an historic buildings report produced with Keevill Heritage Ltd. 

 

The barn is constructed of pine and dates to 1851, made apparent by its form, inscription and dendro dates. The dendro dates also show the timbers origin as Lithuania and Sweden.

 

Cilgerran Castle

 

A stone by stone metric survey of Cilgerran Castle Outer Gatehouse was undertaken in October 2015 for Cadw. The aim was to provide an accurate record of the walls prior to conservation and soft capping works. 

 

Due to the nature of the low walls and undulating ground level, the site was laser scanned to produce a 3D colour point cloud of the site from which a drawn record could be produced in conjunction with photo rectification.

 

Neath Abbey Presbytery Wall Survey

 

A stone by stone metric survey of Neath Abbey southern Presbytery wall was undertaken in June 2015 for Cadw to provide an accurate record of the walls prior to any conservation work being undertaken. 

 

Whilst an abbey has occupied the site since 1130, the abbey church was rebuilt by the Cistercians in the 13th century. The abbey continued to flourish until the 16th century when abbey was pulled down during the Reformation and Great Tudor House built on a part of the site. 

 

Co-operative Pharmacy, Monmouth

 

During the removal of concrete render from the north elevation of the pharmacy building on Monnow Street, it became apparent that the timber frame beneath had suffered heavily. Timber heavily deteriorated from trapped moisture had caused a large area of the timber frame deteriorate, requiring new timber to replace the old. An emergency record and rapid survey was undertaken to appraise and date the building so that works could commence to help preserve and replace the timber.

 

Barn 2, Court House Farm, Cascob, Powys

 

A recent historic buildings record of a barn towards completing the archaeological planning conditions to enable the conversion of a Grade II listed barn into two dwellings. 

 

The barn originates in the late 17th century, with later additions and alterations to ensure its continued use through the subsiquent centuries. Alterations come in the 18th and 19th centuries and incorporate elements of a late 16th century timber framed house. Have a read of the report here - AD011 - Report - Court House Barn

Tretower Castle Bailey Walls Survey

 

A stone by stone metric survey of Tretower Castle Walls was undertaken in March 2015 for Cadw to provide an accurate record of the walls prior to any conservation work being undertaken. 

 

The walls date back to the early 13th century with additions coming in the late 13th century after the wet ground on which the castle sits caused substantial subsidance. This resulted in an unusual battered second skin of stonework to the east elevation, and buttresses to the south.

Priory House, Christ Church, Oxford

 

A rapid survey and photographic record of Priory house was undertaken in January 2015 amonst refurbishment works as part of an ongoing programme heritage advice and recording provided by Keevill Heritage Ltd. 

 

Dating by Dan Miles of Oxford Dendro Labs provided a date of 1490 for the the moulded beams and joists of the second floor, whilst the reused timbers at third floor proved to be considerably older, dating to 1245. 

Buildings of Medieval and Ottoman Palestine 


Working with Dr Andrew Petersen (UWTSD) to undertake fieldwork, research and survey towards A Gazetteer of Buildings in Muslim Palestine, Part 2,  to document the historic buildings and sites as recorded by the Department of Antiquities in the Survey of Western Palestine during the period of the British Mandate (1918-1948).

 

More to follow...

1/8
Gardeners Bothy, Picton Castle


Production of elevation drawings to accompany a Heritage Lottery Fund bid, which would see the restoration and rennovation of the Walled Garden, Gardeners Bothy, and range of gardeners buildings into education and engagement facilities for the Picton Castle Estate. 

AD034 - North and South Elevations - Plas Machen Barns